Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Welcome to my magic jungle


The school finally had their performance of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." S's class consists of all girls except for one very lonely boy. He was the lonely lion in the (apparently Hawaiian) "magic jungle" where the beautiful Hula dancers serenaded him to sleep.

It was hilarious to watch S sing "Hooosh my daaarleeeng, don't feeer my daaarleeeng. . .," and, "In the beelage the peaceful beelage. . . ." That English teacher sure is earnin' her keep. She's just learnin' all those kids so good an' all.

I just don't know anymore if she speaks the language BETTER THAN I. (That's for you, Mom.) And I also don't know what I'm going to do with a 4-year-old who takes off the tank-top I made her wear underneath her itsy-bitsy bikini top the moment she gets to school. The sass is cutting deep, my friends. So deep.

7 comments:

AshKash said...

Hahahahaha!!! I love it!

Kelsey Carreon said...

Her English teacher sounds like my SIL's correcting Christina's English (it is their second language)... I know that Wednesday is spelled funny but pronounced WENS - DAY but they think it is pronounced literally WED- NES- DAY.... yeah it took me a month to get her to stop saying it that way! lol

good luck on the changing clothes when she gets to school..:)

Ali Haddow said...

Good for a whole day of hilarity! I am laughing just like Ash.

Many thanks, btw, for the lovely phrasing of "better than I." As you no doubt remember from Franklin Intermediate, "than" signals a clause, and clauses always contain verbs. In this case the verb is an understood "do," therefore requiring a subjective, rather than objective, pronoun. The easy test? You wouldn't say "better than me do," but you would say, "better than I do"; hence your byooootiful phrase in all caps. It is music to my ears (and to my eyes).

You are more than welcome to send me any you-are-weird message you would like. I know I'm strange, and (a) you love me anyway (admit it) and (b) this is probably why my little Mogli and I get along so well.

As for Sarah, I will laugh all day about the t-shirt. If you have ever had a second's thought that she will wear a jacket over her prom dresses, you might as well give up now.!

Ali Haddow said...

P.S. I don't want to hear about my double punctuation at the end of my pedantic post. I see it; just couldn't change it. Let's just say it serves me right. :)

noelle said...

hysterical. i love that i can count on you to crack me up. those are the best kind of friends.

ww said...

That kind of sass will be more than welcome in a future daughter-in-law. Undershirts are so overrated.

And props that you made sure her bikini was size-appropriate. Girlfriend two doors to the right looks like she's anticipating some DDs.

Katy said...

hahaha...maybe you should have made sarah keep that belly button of hers. She looks adorable though. Oh, and mom likes to send me messages about the grammar on my blog as well, so you are not alone.