Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ag man, we're finally here!









The Pratts have finally arrived in South Africa. After being delayed in DC for a few days because my passport was not up to South African standards (you have to have a blank page and all mine had stamps on them), we braved the 17 hour flight with no regrets. Wendy was the only one who didn't think business class was up to par. She REALLY wanted to be alone and protested by not sleeping very well and not letting daddy sit in the seat with her.

I was expecting to exit the airport in an awe-inspiring red orange sunset with a tree's sillouette covering part of the sun (that's how Africa is supposed to look 24/7, right?) but instead it was raining. And it rained and rained for the next two days.

We finally got some sun today and went to the Lion Park. There, we drove up to some pretty cool lions, played with lion cubs, and fed giraffes!

Needless to say, this place is pretty cool! I only have a few complaints to register with the powers that be:

1) Driving on the left side of the road is really hard.
2) The US does two things better than anybody: junk food and TV. The oreos here taste like cheap Count Chocula cereal and the ice cream is lacking in everything good. The cable tv only plays BBC and B movies. We may be the fattest nation, but at least we do it right! Oh well, we'll have to go out and enjoy nature a little more.
3) The electricity goes out way too often.

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Annie! I'm so excited that you've started a blog. And, I can't believe you're in South Africa! I'm excited to hear all about it. Your girls are so beautiful!!

I love the picture of Sarah with the lion cub. How amazing! Keep safe and tell us all about it!

ww said...

Lion cubs???!!! Lions are only my favorite animal. Seriously. That is so awesome. And can you fly your maid over? We just spent all morning cleaning and it wasn't fun.
Love the bloggie - welcome to the 90's, Mr. Bahnks.

Anonymous said...

Hiya guys glad u are having fun ...... the girls look like that they are having fun ...... house is ok ....... just neighborhood (wierd things) but other then that all good here back in dallas hopefully we all can talk on skype soon ....... trying not to charge u all fees have fun and tell sarah we cant have the lion cubs as kitty's over here

erin said...

glad you pratts are keeping the world informed on your happenings in SA... you guys are my heroes. the last time i saw sarah she was like just under a year old... those little pratt girls are beauties! now if they come home with even a hint of an accent, i might have to keep one at my house.

and lemme just say, i concur with the tv and junk food thing. god bless the usa.

Kelsey Carreon said...

Annie, so glad you made it safe to SA!! your girls look so much like you!! I can't wait to hear of all our adventures. I am sure your parents will appreciate the updates to with you being so far away. Christina was looking with me and went bonkers when she saw all the animals. When she saw the girls she stated "Look mom those are my girl friends lets go see them".

Juliann said...

Holy Cow! Lions and giraffes. . . now THAT's a petting zoo! Glad to hear you've safely arrived and i can't wait to hear all about your adventures there. I will check your blog regularly so don't disappoint me!

The part about the blank passport page made me secretly smile.

Do-Man's Anklebitters said...

Annie,

That is awesome that you guys our in SA what a beautiful place. The flight is ahhh ( I can't believe you did it with kid, I was only pregnant with Pax on mine)

If you want to see one the the most beautiful places and get back to culture Cape Town is the place to be.

Be careful around the temple (it's next to a crazy people hospital as well as aids patients. (they were all being let lose when Trent and I were there due to a doctors strike)

What part of SA are you guys in?

Tell me more I just think it is so awesome that you guys are there. It is such a fun place.

Email me more at jennydoman@mac.com

Anonymous said...

yo annie! i am sitting here in SF with em looking at your two *adorable* girls! he's such a proud daddy...