Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hanepoot to you, too!

Hanepoot is South African for grape juice. Yum.

This week in Jo'burg was bittersweet. When I say "bitter" I mean I cursed the city in the worst way without breaking any commandments (that's possible, right?). The blackouts were particularly annoying, randomly occuring three times a day, lasting 2-3 hours each time. It makes it very difficult to run errands (most stores close during the blackouts), do laundry, cook meals and drink milk (inconsistent refrigeration). After a few days of unsuccesfully getting my cell phone up and running, I was at the mall paying for the last key to the cell phone puzzle. The electricity went out just as they were swiping my credit card. No problem, I paid with cash... oh wait, I needed that cash to pay for parking and exit the parking lot... no ATMS work, and we're stuck in the mall for 3 hours with two restless girlies and nowhere to shop, since all the stores are closed in the blackout--this could be the new Chinese torture!

Also, my camera is broken. I think it still functions ok, but the LCD screen doesn't work. I think it is still under warranty, but I can't take it back to where it was purchased. Any suggestions?

BUT!!! It was still filled with sweet things. First, I have to comment by how kind everyone is, especially in our ward at church. I've never felt so welcome by so many people. The teachers today were very well prepared and gave excellent lessons, which made chuch very enjoyable.

Of course, Wendy and Sarah always provide little bits of sweetness to my day. These are the moments I wish I could have captured on camera/camcorder:

1) Sarah go-go dancing solo in the middle of a restaurant. She was wearing a dress her SugaMom bought for her, which apparently makes her an invincible "princess" dancer.

2) Wendy attacking Sarah with kisses.

3) Wendy's new favorite response to any question is "uh-uh." To play with her, I asked, "Wendy, do you want more grapes?" "Uh-uh." "Do you want a million dollars?" "Uh-Uh." "Do you want all the toys in the world?" "Uh-uh." "Do you love Dada more than Mama?" ". . . (smile, pause, run to Emron) DADA!" Ahhhhh! I just can't win! Emron thought it was awesome.

4) Sarah's blessing on the food: "Dank dee for the sun so all the food could grow sooo big and tall and so I could eat it in my tummy."

I did manage to get a few pictures of Sarah and me. We were bored one evening during a blackout and played with the webcam on my computer. Sarah has peanut butter on her face, since that is her blackout meal of choice.


We are. . .
Lions!



Monkeys!



Just bein' silly!



Cannibalistic lions!



Gangstas, cuz no photo session is complete without one of these bad boys!

5 comments:

erin said...

ah, tales from a developing country. i'm a little shocked that jo-burg can't get it's electrical problems together though. you're a good sport pratt. how's driving on the opposite side of the road suit you? cute pictures!

Kelsey Carreon said...

very cute annie! aren;t sisters great, smothering each other with kisses.....so cute.

ww said...

I wish we had cool juice names. And that you and Sarah would take your animal-impersonating act on the road. To California. And bring your gangsta-ness with you.

Juliann said...

Thank heavens for battery power I suppose. Hang in there. Sounds like you're coming up with fun alternatives!

Hannah said...

The blackouts sound so frustrating! Especially when you get stuck in a mall for 3 hours with two kids...but I love your sweet moments. I love that you couldn't trick Wendy into saying she liked you more than Emron. That is so classic! Girls will be Daddy's girls!