Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A visit from the in-laws

Luckily, there are people in the world who love us enough to come visit. To celebrate that momentous discovery, we treated these patient souls to a true African experience. First, we took them to the Lion Park where you can play with lion cubs and feed giraffes. Then we made our way through the bush to the mine where Emron works. The folks there treated us to a lamb braai (a bbq on steroids). Sarah thought it was butterfly meat. I don't think anyone had the heart to tell her it was a baby sheep. The next morning, Emron's dad and brother, Foster, went down deep into the mine.



Then we went on safari.


That is me in the side-view mirror.


This was as close as this lion came to me before I was too scared to take pictures. He came right up to the jeep (next to me) and then startled and turned. It was then I learned that I am not brave enough to wrestle a lion with my bare hands.

The lions were stalking some impala that we could see in the far distance.


This is my father-in-law and one of two older lions who were too lazy to help with the hunt.

Sarah and Wendy came on one of the more subdued drives. Still, when Sarah started crying because she was hungry, we threatened to feed her to the lions. It was an effective parenting method.




Can you find the elephant?

We got back to Joburg, went on a tour of a township, hit a couple of apartheid museums, and drove through the most dangerous neighborhood in the city just to see if we could make it out alive. All in all, I am sure the Pratts had a thrilling time.

3 comments:

ww said...

I am totally impressed by the Pratts' efforts. I wish I could rise to the same occasion.

Should we plan to serve a dual elderly mission over there in 40 years?

Juliann said...

Can I borrow that parenting line one day, the feed-you-to-the-lions bit? Hopefully it will be as effective in Salt Lake as on Safari. Ok, maybe it won't but it sounds so good I'm going to try.

And speaking of effective, I love all the shots of you guys with the animals in the background. Holy cow! That makes it so clear how close they are and how you are seriously right there with them! I love it!

Jenn S. said...

Aww, so cool! I especially loved the bit about "driving through the most dangerous part of the city", how does it compare to South Philly on a Saturday night?