My mom.
This is a really good picture of my mom. Usually she makes a "deer in headlights" face when people take her picture, and destroys the film afterwards. I'm starting to do that, too, lately. Emron calls it my "mom" face. I can't help it. I blame my ancestors.
I love my mom.
I don't think there is any fancier way of saying that. I think we all love our moms in our heart of hearts. Deep inside, there is a bond that cannot be broken, no matter how stubborn we are. Our kinship to our mothers is written in stone and once we realize that, our relationships can be much more fulfilling.
Sure, moms make mistakes. I have. My mom has. Your mom has. But that doesn't change the complete and utter adoration I have for my children. And it doesn't change my mom's love for me either.
If only there was a way for me to go back in time, having already experienced the love I feel as a mother, and convince my teenage self of this total devotion that my mom has for me and each of her children. It's too bad that you don't really get it until you are a mom, yourself. I would have appreciated her a little more.
I would have respected her a little more.
This is a really good picture of my mom. Usually she makes a "deer in headlights" face when people take her picture, and destroys the film afterwards. I'm starting to do that, too, lately. Emron calls it my "mom" face. I can't help it. I blame my ancestors.
"Mother, who willingly made that personal journey into the valley of the shadow of death to give us birth, deserves our undying gratitude. One writer summed up our love for mother when he declared, 'God could not be everywhere, and so He gave us mothers.'
"While on the cruel cross of Calvary, suffering intense pain and anguish, Jesus 'saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother!' (John 19:26-27.) What a divine example of gratitude and love!"
--Thomas S. Monson, "An Attitude of Gratitude," Ensign, Feb. 2000, 4
I love my mom.
I don't think there is any fancier way of saying that. I think we all love our moms in our heart of hearts. Deep inside, there is a bond that cannot be broken, no matter how stubborn we are. Our kinship to our mothers is written in stone and once we realize that, our relationships can be much more fulfilling.
Sure, moms make mistakes. I have. My mom has. Your mom has. But that doesn't change the complete and utter adoration I have for my children. And it doesn't change my mom's love for me either.
If only there was a way for me to go back in time, having already experienced the love I feel as a mother, and convince my teenage self of this total devotion that my mom has for me and each of her children. It's too bad that you don't really get it until you are a mom, yourself. I would have appreciated her a little more.
I would have respected her a little more.
"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." ~Rajneesh
The happiest day of my life was the day I became a mother. . . I've had two of those days so far. And I never knew I was capable of feeling like this about anyone or anything. That's what mothers do--they love beyond explanation.
Thanks, Mom, you know for risking your life to give birth, cleaning up my poop, making me do my homework and eat onions, and sitting next to the vomit bag all those times I was sick. Thanks for giving everything you had so that my life could be better.
6 comments:
Yeah, not looking forward to the teenage years. I was NOT nice to my mom, I'm sure I'll get my due. You're right, I just didn't get it.
Nice blog entry. Thanks.
Very sweet.
The best thing about having daughters is watching them grow up to be mothers--really, really good ones, like you Annie--one who has always been nice to her mom (you were NEVER a mean teenager) but who becomes even nicer when she experiences the universal bond of motherhood. And I didn't mind cleaning your poop one bit!
I love that quote from Rajneesh! Hooray for moms! I still look at my mom and think she must have some super human powers.
What a nice tribute to your mom! And, I can't imagine you or your mom looking bad in a picture. I'd love to see some proof ;) jk.
OH MY GOODNESS!! YOU TOTALLY LOOK LIKE YOUR MOM!!!!!
And that, is a great thing, cuz she is very, very pretty! :) I had never seen a picture of either of your parents and was quite shocked when I saw a picture of your mom and realized, very quickly, how much you look like her.
Post a Comment