Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This literally happened too close to home


Mexico interior minister dies in airplane crash


I happened to be on our balcony and saw the plane coming down, and thought, "wow, that plane is landing a little too fast. . . and a little too close. . . is that normal? I wonder how the people on board are feeling about that. . . I know I would probably get airsickness . . . Isn't the airport over where all the other planes are landing?" But a fight between Sarah and Wendy called me back inside before I could follow the plane all the way down. A few minutes later I went back out with Sarah and pointed out that something must be on fire, because there was a big cloud of black smoke that you could see even in the night sky.

It didn't even occur to me that the plane was crashing (but it was totally obvious in retrospect, duh). Then Emron called to make sure I was OK. The plane crashed on a road that is a main conduit between where we live and other neighborhoods we frequent.

The article says officials claim it appears to have been an accident, but the rumor in town is that the drug cartels shot down the plane because of who was on it. . . maybe conspiracy theorists on a heyday, but either way it is pretty scary to have a plane crash in the middle of rush hour. If Emron were working in town (and not in New York), he could have been on that very road, on his way home. Planes crashing into major cities is too reminiscent of that dark day in September of 2001. It brings a flood of feelings. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones so unexpectedly.

9 comments:

Liz said...

Yikes glad you are all safe. I love reading about your experiences in Mexico.

Kathryn said...

Wow... A private plane? Did people on the ground die?

erin said...

good grief... that's horrible. during rush hour. makes my heart flutter a little.

ww said...

Oh my gosh. What a blessing that the girls distracted you from seeing the moment of impact. Man, Annie. Should we meet in Cabo?

jenafeldman said...

Wow! Glad you are all OK...I have to say you live an exciting life! Crazy!

JT and Kristin said...

That's crazy! I can't believe you saw it happening. I am just glad you guys are OK.

Hannah said...

Wow! I'm glad you are safe. It must have felt surreal to see the plane on its way down.

Anonymous said...

Annie Bahnannie: I read about this in the paper the day after you wrote about it. It seems the big name official on board was some kind of bad--or at least questionably so--dude. Still, this cannot be easy for their loved ones.

Speaking of loved ones, where are the photos of the ladies in red? Didn't I see them on this blog?

Juliann said...

Oh, Annie! That just gave me the chills. I'm so glad you were spared having to see impact. That would haunt you forever. . . kind of like the images of that cold day in september you mentioned. Chills.