Friday, May 22, 2009

The early W gets the worm

An Aztec delicacy here in Mexico is worms, fried, buttered and salted. They look like the mealworms I used for my science project in 6th grade. And since we enjoy making houseguests squirm, E ordered a round at a nice lunch for our guests.

(and the yellowish stuff? ant eggs.)

We all did our part and worked up the courage to try at least one.

If you were blind and had no feeling in your tongue, they would be quite delish.
But our fearless offspring didn't let racist worm stereotypes interfere with her discerning palate. (Or could it be that her palate just doesn't discern?)

She may appear skeptical here, but I assure you, there was no hesitation. I think there's ant egg grease in her hair.

She just dug right in.

And went to town.

And when I say "town," I mean TIZZOWN.

As a witness to all this, I had a mixture of feelings I've never experienced before: a little nauseated/utter pride for my progeny/disbelief. As a compromise, I think I threw up in my mouth a little. And just laughed.

This one comes around once in a lifetime.

9 comments:

Hannah said...

Wow...

and to think this is the girl who just tolerates grilled cheese. :) Unbelieveable! She sure makes it look good.

Jess Haddow said...

I've had mealworms before. They're not bad. Wendy is awesome.

noelle said...

wazzahhhhh!!!! sick. think i threw up a little in my mouth there, too. she will either die of embarrassment over these pics later on in life or display them on her wall with pride. either way will be great fun. wendy's special. love her.

noelle said...

oh, saw emron today at church and i asked how you were doing. hope you're okay and get to feeling better soon! love ya.

ww said...

Dude.

Juliann said...

Um, like father like daughter. We could have taken pictures just like these of Emron, but he just isn't as cute. . . And although I just had a half a taco's worth and I never did try the ant eggs, I am willing to admit I'm glad Emron made us all try the worms. It makes a great story. . . especially when you tell it!

Sherwoods said...

Uhh, not gonna lie...that is disgusting. I will never, I repeat never, be trying that Mexican delicacy.

Katy said...

typical wendy :) I love her so much. I like her cute bracelet!

Liz said...

That is crazy. She needs to go on Survivor when she is older.