Monday, August 11, 2008

Too good to wait

So I have taken a reprieve from the blog world while on our vacation in the states (as I am sure you have noticed, checking in every 15 minutes, crying in your coffee/vanilla creme frappachino, etc.) but something happened today that just couldn't wait. Who am I to deny the world of such incredible drama? Is this a blog-worthy story? You be the judge:

It all began at nice quiet suburban Burger King.
Poppy had taken the girls for a special lunch at the Centreville franchise. Macaroni and cheese was enjoyed, smiles were shared and happy-meal toys were had. . . it wasn't long before tears were shed.

Sarah and Wendy were playing high up in the upper-story play structure (really--who designs these things?) when Poppy heard Wendy crying and a vengeful Sarah yelling, "HEY. YOU'RE HURTING MY SISTER!" He rounded the corner to see Sarah wailing on a kid in a black t-shirt who had Wendy in a head-lock. He was stubborn and Sarah's punches only made him hold Wendy's neck tighter. Poppy told the kid to stop to no avail, tried climbing into the play tubes that only fit small monkeys and children (seriously--who dreamed up this place for kids to play, inevitably get hurt, or duke it out, but prevents any kind of parental intervention? Darwin? Machiavelli?) to no avail. So he called, "Who's kid is this?"

Quickly, a mother (who reportedly was the size of a monkey) sprang into the mini-gladiator cage and freed Wendy. She was very apologetic, helped them down, and administered punishments and "I'm sorry's."

And then it got good. . .

A dad stands up to my dad and says, "You yellin' at my kid?"
Poppy replies, "Is he the thug with the black shirt? Then yes, I am."

So the dad grabs Poppy and appears aggressive. . . at least he appears that way to another bystander who tackles the dad to the floor. The dad starts yelling, the bystander yells, then the manager comes in to announce that the police are on their way.

(Dramatic pause so the appropriate awesomeness of the situation can really sink in.)

Upon hearing about the police, the dad makes a bolt for it and flies through the door. Hmmm. The mother is obviously freaking out, but she stays to continue apologizing. After the manager goes back to the front, Poppy says, "If there's a problem for you, you need to get out," to which she responded by running out the door with her kid in the black t-shirt.



The police came, no one was hurt, (although Sarah hysterically tried to garner all the attention possible), and the rest is blog history.

Was I right?

9 comments:

erin said...

so you live in south dallas, yet you have to go to suburban utah for this kind of excitement. what'd the weasly punk dad do? lift a bank? and he leaves his son and wife/whatever and flees the scene. what a piece of work. this is awesome.

Hannah said...

TOTALLY blog worthy! I can't believe this! It baffles me (1) that a kid would put wendy in a head-lock (can't they tell she's way to sweet and adorable to deserve such treatment?) (2) that a father would be willing to defend their son for doing so (3) that there was no way to reach the children to help remedy the situation (4) that they fled the scene...unbelievable. I tell you one thing, I'll continue to avoid those playgrounds like the plague...

Way to go Poppy for protecting the girls!

Molly said...

Annie- I love this story! You will be laughing about this for years! Yeah, I'm kinda wondering myself what that dad had done. You know he had a warrant out for his arrest for something. Keep blogging- i like your stories!

Jessie said...

Um, wow. That is a really good story. Way to go Sara on lettin' that kid have it.

JT and Kristin said...

Yea, way awesome! Seriously where do people like this come from? Such a cool story.

Juliann said...

AAAAaaackkkk! I've read this story like 14 times by now and it KILLS me every time! I'm still laughing about your dad standing up to the guy and then the bystander who came from nowhere and tackled the guy! I love it!

This may beat out the Sarah-Eating-Your-Birth-Control story as my favorite Sarah and Wendy story yet! Bravo! Bravo!

Kelsey Carreon said...

ok why is it that our dad's always find themselves in these precarious situations!! I love it! I think I will take the girls there next year when I visit my parents just to be at the site of this awesome event.... can we bring your dad too?

ww said...

Po-ppy! Po-ppy! Sa-rah! Sa-rah! There are too many praises to write in one comment. Suffice it to say I'm simultaneously horrified and impressed. This was worth the blog wait.

Angela and Mike said...

oh wow! I just stumbled on your blog from hannah's. That a CRAZY story.